Kandykane's Dance Choreography

It doesn’t matter what dance style are you in, as long as you are a dancer, you dance some kind of choreography. Although choreography for dancers from different dance styles can be quite varied, the way of creating a choreography share itself to, if not all then most of the dances.

What is choreography?
First of all, by definition we know that choreography is the sequences of movements and steps that are set by choreographers and performed by dancers to music. Then how is it different from a routine? I personally think that the dance choreography is more complicated than a routine. A routine can be long or short, but when I talk about choreography it tends to be a dance specially designed to one particular song and that the dance fits not only the rhythm but also the meaning.

For what songs and dance styles we are creating choreography?
Of course dance choreographers create routines without a connected songs and in fact the latter happens more often for me. Anyway, the dance itself should accompany with music, sometimes live. While I mostly write couple dances I also write group dances. Both of them require a very practical knowledge and experience towards the dance styles and floorcrafting.
I have tried different types of songs, from Phantom of the Opera to Gangnam Style, some had definitely no fans but some gained affections. Through years I have established a habit of choreographing wherever, whenever my presence.

How is the creating and how is the final dance?
Whenever I am inspired by a song, I will keep working on it, I could be on the train or in bed, I could be teaching or dancing. When the music calls to me I feel an urge to commit to it. There is always a strong desire to dance it out with someone, however, when it comes to executing, I allow a lot of improvisation. My planned choreography is always nice in my visualization, but the expression of the movements by the dancers may not match my expectation. And I admit that accepting individuals' expression is a way to improve the final product.

How often do we write dances?
As I said, whenever and wherever; however, recently I also started to write dances on a regular basis. Not every single one of them can finally be sold out, but I can't let anything be my excuse not to choreography. Regular work helps productivity, and keeps my creating engine on, which is quite nice when I get sudden job notice. You know there have been times I was asked to perform within 24 hours. And thanks to my hard work, these old routines (which I recorded them all in Kandykane's Dance Routine Library) have saved me many many times!

的推文